Monday, April 1, 2013

Breakfast at Your Desk: Have You Heard of Emmer?

Emmer. Hint: It's a grain that may be popping up near the instant oatmeal at a grocery store near you. Here are the details on this breakfast food ...


I recently spotted a new product at the store, "freshly cracked" organic, heirloom (as the label stated) Emmer from Bluebird Grain Farms.



According to the package, the cereal (like oatmeal or Cream of Wheat, for instance) cooks in just 15 minute, and is said to be "sweet, nutty and nourishing." I did a little more reading up on the ancient grain, emmer, a type of wheat, and found that it's a staple in Northern Italian cuisine, where it's used to make polentas. Mmmmmm.


Next time I'm back at the store, this stuff is going in my cart.


P.S. The beverage I've wanted for breakfast every day this week! And, do you like rhubarb? I'm dreaming of rhubarb compote for yogurt--yum, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment